The Golden Gate District. And no it’s not in San Francisco. Surprisingly it’s a Tri-City neighborhood encompassing Emeryville, North Oakland and Berkeley. I live 1 block into the Berkeley portion of the neighborhood. A good portion of it has views of the Golden Gate and Alcatraz Island, so I suppose that’s where the name comes from.
Journalism internship with the San Jose Mercury News, A year in real estate market research and 4 years in disability services and arts education non profit administration.
1) 2 ALBUMS YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT:
1) 1) Watchout – Martha & The Vandellas (1966). Possibly one of the best Girl Group LPs of the 1960s, completely unintentionally. Produced by at least 5 different producers, somehow it always feels like a complete piece of work by the time “He Doesn’t Love Her Anymore” fades out.
2) 2) More Hits By The Supremes (1965). A snapshot of a cultural phenomenon at their most satisfying and poignant. Chock full of camp classics you know and love/loathe (“Stop! In the Name of Love”) along with the best harmony work the group did before Diana Ross became the front and center of the group.
2) ARTISTS YOU WISH YOU KNEW IN REAL LIFE:
Sal Mineo, because he honestly took lifelong artistic risks without (much) concern to what audiences thought about him as an actor, much less a person.
3) FAVORITE AUTOBIOGRAPHY:
Rage To Survive by Etta James.
4) FASHION ICON: Sam Cooke. Or Dick Van Dyke. 30 something men from The Birth of Cool in general.
5) FAVORITE RESTAURANT: Cooks Seafood of Menlo Park. No matter where I go in the world I want their Sand Dabs or Calamari on Friday Night.
6) FAVORITE SF NEIGHBORHOOD: You mean Oakland Neighborhood, right? I’ll let San Francisco finish, but nothing beats Lake Merritt on a Sunny day just about any day of the year.
7) WHERE DO YOU GO ON YOUR DAY OFF? Somewhere with Sand, Water and Sun. The possibilities are endless around here.
8) FAVORITE SHOP: Rooky Ricardos Record Store. I can get lost for hours pouring over 45rpm singles that sing in my head but can kill my wallet.