I still remember when I got the Michael Jackson HIStory album (boy did I think I was cool). I also remember thinking “Heal the World” was a cheesy song that didn’t feel right coming at the end of all the hits on disc 1. But as I listened to the album over and over, the ending mantra started to work its way into my brain. “Heal the world we live in. Save it for our children.” Yes, I agreed with those sentiments. And years later, I work for a non-profit organization that helps young people every day by teaching them vital skills necessary for school, work in life. This could be a coincidence, or it could be that Michael Jackson and I have this in common. We both believe that each individual can change the world for the better and that, no matter the scale or perspective, it makes a difference.
What do you think? Is there a song you believe can change the world or has already changed your world?
- Beverly, 2Pac “Brenda’s Got a Baby” The themes are still relevant today. Nearly all societies can relate to this song. And we all have a stake in addressing the issues.
- Karena, Program Director – Dead Man’s Bones “My Body’s a Zombie for You.” It’s Ryan Gosling’s band and he is clearly changing the world with his mere existence.
- Larry, Program & Administrative Assistant – “Don’t Put Off til Tomorrow What you Can Do Today” The Monitors. The title explains a lot.
- Anne, Program & Communications Manager – “People are People” by Depeche Mode. I really like the sentiments in this song. Why can’t we just get along?
- Ivy, Finance & Operations Manager – “We are the World” Originally recorded 25 years ago and recently redone. Check out the Wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_the_World
- Other selections taken from this list of 100 songs that changed the world.