Music can grab a hold of us in a particular way.
We’ve all done it, lain on the floor with headphones or blasted it over the stereo in the living room that is now a dance floor. For some, it becomes a karaoke anthem.
You know what I’m talking about, that first song or album you just had to listen to, again and again.
Preschoolers do this too. They love repetitive songs and movements that help them structure their day.
What was the first song you loved on repeat? (Listen to the full playlist on Spotify.)
- Jessica, Executive Director– Guys & Dolls – Revival Album with Nathan Lane (dorky, but true)
- Sit down you’re rocking the boat
- Till there was you
- Anne, Program & Communications Manager– Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation, so many dance routines coordinated to this album. I pretty much lived in latex when this album came out.
- Rhythm Nation
- State of the World
- The Knowledge
- Beverly, Individual Giving Manager– Around seven years old, I used to listen to Air Supply on my dad’s vinyl record player. My parents would play their record when we cleaned the house on Saturday mornings–that’s where the love began.
- All Out of Love
- Making Love out of Nothing At All
- Even the Nights are Better
- Larry, Program & Administrative Assistant – “Private Dancer” by Tina Turner. I was 3. It was particularly troubling to my father
- Brian, Development Director – Hmmm… C+C Music Factory’s Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)
- Karena, Program Director – Whitney Houston’s “Whitney” RIP!
- Gary, Artistic Director – When in high school my friends and I played a Beatles albums several times, on repeat. St. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
- Fixing a Hole
- A Day in the Life
- Cathy, Finance Director – Eric Clapton – Tears In Heaven
- Aurora, Program Manager– If you really want the first: A tie between Janet Jackson and the New Kids on the Block. After that, I moved onto every Cure and Smiths album I could get a hold of.
- Janet Jackson – Control
- Janet Jackson – Nasty Boys
- Janet Jackson – What Have You Done For Me Lately
- New Kids on the Block – Didn’t I (Blow Your Mind)
- New Kids on the Block – You Got It (The Right Stuff)